History of the Tremayne Hall
The Tremayne Hall, with its distinctive clock tower, stands at the centre of the village of Mylor Bridge behind Mylor Stores. It is a grade 2 listed building that was built in 1827 by a local benefactor and landowner, Sir Charles Lemon of Carclew Estate. It started as a poorhouse, providing a home for local paupers, but later went on to become a village school, a church hall and finally a village hall. The building is still leased from the Tremayne family, who inherited the building in 1868. It has undergone various modifications and most recently, has received a complete restoration, completed in October 2007 thanks to generous grants and donations (see supporters page). The Hall is organised by a Management Committee.
This is how the Tremayne Hall looked before the restoration: -
To find out more about local history and our Archive Centre, Click Here.
Restoration and Improvement of the Hall 2006/7
The Tremayne Hall has had many uses in its long life, but in spite of grade two protected status, it had got into such a neglected state by the summer of 2006 large pieces of plaster were falling from the ceiling and it had to be closed for safety. Fortunately, as a result of a great deal of hard work by the Management Committee, major grants were secured from the likes of the Heritage Lottery Fund and others (see Supporters) and the work of restoration could begin.
Architects, David Scott & Co, drew up plans and a model was produced to show how the hall could be both repaired and enhanced. The contract was awarded to S Quick and Sons of Helston and work began in August 2006. The entire roof was replaced and other major structural work was undertaken, in addition to the demolition of the old outside lavatories and the building of a new entrance lobby with all facilities, a new small meeting room (the Pope Room) and an enlarged Green Room.
An important part of our grant application was the plan to provide an Archive Centre for the community. The old upstairs store room was converted into an archive storage and office area, and the old entrance lobby became the Reading Room where archives would be displayed and the public could gain access to the collection administered by the Mylor Local History Group.