Villagers pack Mylor hall for official opening
ON a bright sunny day in Mylor Bridge hundreds of residents packed into the newly refurbished Tremayne Hall for the venue's official opening by Lady Mary Holborow, the Lord Lieutenant of Cornwall.
Young and old were present for the biggest day in the village's history since work was completed on the new build in the village school last year. The opening comes two year's after work first started in the hall in 2005 following grants obtained by the Tremayne Hall management committee.
Children from Mylor Bridge School opened the proceedings with some special songs to entertain the crowd, which included many parents and their grandparents.
There were also performances by five of the school's musicians on violin and recorder: Georgie Phillips, Isabelle Armstrong, Cora Griffin, Helen Taylor and Elise Schoolbraid, with Cora giving a particularly delightful solo recital.
Following the performance one of the key members of the hall's restoration committee Val Jeans-Jakobsson showed the audience a time capsule which contains details of village life many written by the schoolchildren The capsule was handed over to site manager Martin Quick by schoolchildren involved to be placed in the roof space. The roof could last for up to 200 years before it needs replacing.
Lady Mary Holborow unveiled a plaque to commemorate the opening of the hall and was presented with a bouquet and a glass vase by the children as a thankyou for her efforts.
Those attending were then given the chance to look around the new facility and given free cream teas in celebration.
"So, the last pieces of the jigsaw are coming together and, apart from some finishing touches, all that remains is for everyone in our large and varied community once again to use and enjoy the building that has played a big part at the centre of Mylor for more than 180 years," said Mrs Jeans-Jakobsson.
The Tremayne Hall, with its distinctive clock tower, stands at the centre of the village of Mylor Bridge between Mylor Stores and the Butcher. It is a solidly built, granite block, Grade 2 listed building that has been in use since it was built in 1827. It was a poorhouse at first, providing a home for the numerous local paupers, but later went on to become a village school, a church hall and finally a village hall. The name Tremayne is due to ownership of the building by the Tremayne family, from whom the building is leased at the present time. The Tremayne family inherited the building from the local benefactor and landowner, Sir Charles Lemon of Carclew Estate, in 1868.
The architects, Scott & Co, have preserved the character of the hall while adding modern facilities and bringing it into the twenty-first century. Extra smaller rooms have been added which will make the centre more flexible and financially viable.
(Falmouth Packet, 10 October2007)