Signatures from 1923 found at Tremayne Hall
Builders working on the restoration of the Tremayne Hall in Mylor Bridge found evidence of the last time work was carried out on the building in the form of two signatures from 1923.
The two signatures were found in the roof timbers by the current contractors S Quick and Son, of Erth, who are working on the restoration of the old building.
The first signature is clearly "Tom Chellew, New Row, Mylor, August 1923." A search of the 1901 census by the local history group found a Tom Chellew living in West Street, Penryn, aged 13. His father and elder brother's occupations are given as masons.
The second signature has rather indistinct initials but the rest reads "Battershill, Ponsanooth, Aug 1923." In the 1901 census there is a Robert J Battershill, who was aged 17 and living at 74 Lemon Street,in Truro. Robert also had an occupation of carpenter's apprentice. His father is listed as house builder, an employer working at home. Therefore, this was probably a family firm. Both boys may have married and moved by 1923, as per the inscription.
The building is currently being renovated and the original stone structure rebuilt, with full access for the disabled, together with the refurbishment of the existing lavatories and an extension giving two new multi-purpose rooms.
It is hoped that further grants will provide funds to enable a separate project to provide completely new toilets before the contractors start refurbishing the existing ones.
The re-roofed hall will contain a new floor and ceiling, modern heating, sympathetic decor, a rebuilt stage and modern kitchen facilities. The entrance lobby will become a display centre for the Mylor Local History Group, with their archives stored in the tower above. It is hoped that by next summer the residents of Mylor will once again have a hall of which to be proud, and one that will provide enhanced benefits to everyone in the community.
(Falmouth Packet, 18 October 2006)